Monday, June 20, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane Preview

10 Cloverfield Lane is exactly why I love doing these previews and reviews.  The brief and mysterious preview begins with Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) getting into a pretty bad car accident.  When she awakens, she is handcuffed to a wall in a bunker.  Her captor, or savior, Howard (John Goodman) informs her that it's not safe outside of the bunker.  Emmett (John Gallagher Jr) is also in the bunker and appears to be Howard's friend, or co-captor.  Michelle attempts to escape despite Howard's fervent pleas that he is doing this for her own good.  We do get a brief glimpse of Michelle outside of a large house that in emitting a bright white light with some terrifying music playing to imply that the light isn't a good sign.

10 Cloverfield Lane was produced by JJ Abrams who is responsible for the successful recent Star Wars installment, the last few Star Trek features, and several of the Mission: Impossible films; but this seems like a movie we wouldn't necessarily expect from Abrams.

The movie was directed by Dan Trachtenberg who really hasn't done much before this release.  I love me some John Goodman.  Mary Elizabeth Winstead has been around, but isn't a big name actress.  She was in A Good Day to Die Hard as John McClane's daughter Lucy and was in a cute film Scott Pilgrim vs. The World as Romona Flowers, Scott's love interest.

My point is, you know you're going to get something great from John Goodman and JJ Abrams, but the rest of the cast and crew, along with the preview, leave you wondering what exactly that something is.  It's wonderful.  It looks like a great thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat and also guessing as to the true motives of Howard and Emmett in the bunker.  I love it, I'm excited to watch 10 Cloverfield Lane, and I have no idea what I'm about to get into.  I'm anticipating 4.0 stars for a well-written, well-acted, twisting scary movie that I might just want to buy and watch again.  Am I right?  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment